Please find below a roundup of this week’s free, public virtual events, as well as recent articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
In the News
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political and societal landscape.
- A COVID outbreak complicates Louisiana’s ability to deal with Hurricane Ida. | The New York Times: Dr. Sheri Fink reports that the preparations for Hurricane Ida are being complicated by Louisiana’s huge COVID wave.
- Pfizer and BioNTech say a third shot boosts antibodies against the virus. | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer states that the two companies will submit their data by the end of the week and ask the F.D.A. to approve a third shot.
- Marine veteran calls Afghanistan ‘complete collapse of American competence’ | ABC News: Elliot Ackerman speaks on the suicide attack in Kabul and ongoing efforts to help Afghan allies escape the country.
- New York’s Economy, Poised for Comeback, Finds Setback Instead | The New York Times: Eduardo Porter talks about how the Delta variant has upended events, office reopenings and travel, raising new challenges for service businesses and their workers.
- Why Californians should reject the Newsom recall | The Washington Post: Matt Bai is wary of the Newsom recall.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Meet A New Gotham Hero (And Her Dog) in Whistle Graphic Novel | Screenrant: E. Lockhart explores a more down-to-Earth version of the famously supercriminal-infested metropolis.
- Meet pizza salad, a family-friendly plate of tomatoes, mozzarella and marinated beans | The Washington Post: Jenny Rosenstrach shares a recipe from her book The Weekday Vegetarians, which is full of her ideas for eating meatless five days a week and then being free for carnivorous splurges on two.
- The top 10 most anticipated books this fall, according to Goodreads | Fortune: Colson Whitehead’s HARLEM SHUFFLE and Lauren Groff’s MATRIX are on this list.
- OXO Launches Chefs in Residence Program | Yahoo Finance: Kwame Onwuachi is one of the three chefs OXO partners with for this collaborative series to bring more “better” to the home cook.
- Here’s When You Should Use a Semicolon | Reader’s Digest: Benjamin Dreyer explains when to use a semicolon.