Please find below a roundup of this week’s free, public virtual events, as well as recent articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
In the News
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political and societal landscape.
- Center for Reproductive Rights CEO Nancy Northup: “We’re just in a crisis at this point” | MSNBC: Anand Giridharadas speaks with Nancy Northup about the acts of civil disobedience and defiance in Texas, and what comes next in the fight for abortion rights.
- Boston Public Radio Full Show: 9/15/21 | GBH: Bina Venkataraman talked about her reactions to the mayoral preliminary and why The Boston Globe endorsed Andrea Campbell for mayor.
- Infrastructure Bill Aims To Address Lead Pipes: Lessons Learned From Flint | Iowa Public Radio: Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha gives her thoughts on the infrastructure package working its way through Congress.
- A New Company With a Wild Mission: Bring Back the Woolly Mammoth | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer reports on how a company is aiming to bring thousands of mammoths back to Siberia.
- Rainbow Railroad Advocates for Resettling LGBTQI+ Afghans in the U.S. | CNN: Aliysn Camerota discusses with Rainbow Railroad’s Executive Director the situation on the ground in Afghanistan and how the U.S. government needs to do more to resettle LGBTQI+ people faced with extreme violence and persecution in the country.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Cathy Park Hong is on the 2021 TIME100 List | TIME: Cathy Park Hong is one of the 100 most influential people of 2021.
- The 2021 National Book Awards Longlist: Fiction | The New Yorker: Lauren Groff and Robert Jones. Jr. are on this longlist.
- Colson Whitehead Returns To His Home Turf With Harlem Shuffle | NPR: Pulitzer Prize-winning author Colson Whitehead talks about the extensive background research for Harlem Shuffle.
- Chef Kwame Onwuachi Will Host the 2021 James Beard Awards | Washingtonian: Kwame Onwuachi has had a very busy year since he left his DC restaurant.
- Ken Burns on the fight for equality, ahead of Ali film debut | CBS News: Ken Burns speaks about his latest film and the fight for equality.