Please find below a roundup of this week’s free, public virtual events, as well as recent articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
Virtual Events with Our Speakers
Tune in to these virtual Penguin Random House speakers’ book events, author Q&As and more that are happening this week.
These publicity events are free and open to the public.
Tuesday, June 15
Thursday, June 17
- Ocean Vuong is in conversation with Robert Jones, Jr. at Book Passage (7:00PM EST)
- Gayle Forman speaks at Books are Magic (7:00PM EST)
News and Media from PRHSB Speakers
Politics and Current Events
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political landscape.
- Opinion | Warren Buffett and the Myth of the ‘Good Billionaire’ | The New York Times: Anand Giridharadas remarks on how billionaires in America are taking advantage of a system predicated on cruelty.
- Newly elected trans state lawmakers reflect on record year of anti-trans bills | PBS News Hour: Sarah McBride reflects on her first year as a state senator.
- ‘There’s a concerted backlash’: Ibram X Kendi on antiracism under attack | The Guardian: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi speaks on the reactionary backlash of the racial awakening in America.
- What we can learn from working parents that applies to the return to the workplace | Reset Work: Lauren Smith Brody answers questions on what we could learn from the best practices for the return to the office from parental leave.
- Novavax Offers U.S. a Fourth Strong Covid-19 Vaccine | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer writes about the results of its clinical trial.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Here are the winners and finalists of this year’s Pulitzer Prize. | Literary Hub: Cathy Park Hong’s MINOR FEELINGS is named a finalist for the 2021 Pulitzer Prize in General Nonfiction.
- 20 books that are essential reading this Pride Month | CNN: Sarah McBride’s TOMORROW WILL BE DIFFERENT and Garrard Conley’s BOY ERASED are on this list.
- Authors Kiley Reid and Emily Henry share their top reading picks for summer | GMA: Kiley Reid recommends books across different genres and age groups.
- Lawrence Wright, Author, The Plague Year: America in the Time of COVID | The Washington Post: Lawrence Wright shares what he’s learned from investigating the origins, handling, and ongoing threats of the pandemic and what that means for Americans and the world.
- The Writers’ Room: Young Adult Fiction And Social Media | WAMU: E. Lockhart speaks on the state of #BookTok and the communities that fuel it.