Please find below a roundup of this week’s free, public virtual events, as well as recent articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
Virtual Events with Our Speakers
Tune in to these virtual Penguin Random House speakers’ book events, author Q&As and more that are happening this week.
These publicity events are free and open to the public.
Tuesday, August 3
- Omar El Akkad speaks at Square Books (6:30PM EST)
- Amy McGrath talks with Carmichael’s Bookstore about HONOR BOUND (7:00PM EST)
Wednesday, August 4
Friday, August 6
Check out #BooksConnectUsLive for more live virtual events.
News and Media from PRHSB Speakers
Politics and Current Events
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political landscape.
- Nikole Hannah-Jones and Ta-Nehisi Coates on the Fight Over U.S. History | The New York Times: Nikole Hannah-Jones and Ta-Nehisi Coates discuss the 1619 Project, American democracy, and Donald Trump.
- Citing New Data, Pfizer Outlines Case for Booster Shots | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer reports on how the coronavirus vaccine may become slightly weaker over time but most people won’t need boosters anytime soon.
- Life Kit: How To Host A Dinner Party | WUNC: Priya Parker explores how to host meaningful, memorable gatherings.
- Cyclist’s Olympic Dream Becomes $200,000 Medical Bill Nightmare | NPR: Elisabeth Rosenthal discusses how many athletes’ dreams ended in injury before the Tokyo Games.
- If the market’s good, Robinhood’s going to be a fantastic stock: Roger McNamee | CNBC: Roger McNamee joins ‘Power Lunch’ to discuss Robinhood’s IPO and the company’s business model.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Yaa Gyasi: Transcendent Kingdom and Homegoing (Part Two) | KCRW: Yaa Gyasi speaks about the power of fiction to break the barrier of reality through the imagination.
- Alice Waters Answers the Proust Questionaire | Vanity Fair: The Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters speakson family, floral indulgences, and fantasies of Europe.
- Marginalia: Megha Majumdar On A Burning | KMUW: Megha Majumdar talks about her debut novel.
- ‘We All Need A Dose’ Of Sugar: Cheryl Strayed On Tiny Beautiful Things At The Grandel | NPR: Cheryl Strayed discusses the play adapted from TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS.
- Farewell To A New York Icon: The Astor Place Kmart | NPR: Jerry Saltz talks about the closing of the Kmart.