Please find below a roundup of this week’s free, public virtual events, as well as recent articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
In the News
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political and societal landscape.
- Dexter Filkins on the End of the Forever War | NPR: Dexter Filkins talks about how American involvement in Afghanistan came to such a chaotic and ominous end.
- A Deeper Look At Who The Taliban Is 20 Years Later | MSNBC: Anand Giridharadas discusses the current reiteration of the Taliban and what impact its takeover may have on Afghans.
- U.S. scrambles to evacuate Americans and Afghans following Taliban takeover | CBSN: Elliot Ackerman talks about the mounting pressure on the Biden administration to evacuate Americans and allies out of Afghanistan following the Taliban’s rapid takeover.
- How Should We Meet? And Who Decides? | The New York Times: Priya Parker talks about returning back to the office.
- ‘Full Bio:’ The Rise of OxyContin with Patrick Radden Keefe | WNYC: Patrick Radden Keefe discusses how the drug OxyContin was first introduced and became so popular, and how big pharma marketing, the FDA, and even the media were involved.
- The Real Reason More Kids Are Getting Infected With COVID-19 | KGNB 1420 AM: Dr. Matt McCarthy argues that vaccination not only prevents hospitalizations, but it also keeps schools open.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Caste is a finalist for the Dayton Literary Peace Prize! Lit Hub: Isabel Wilkerson’s CASTE is one of the finalists for the 2021 Dayton Literary Peace Prize.
- Ibram X. Kendi Inks Development Deal With Boat Rocker, Launches Production Company | Deadline: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi has struck a multi-genre development deal with Boat Rocker.
- What Strange Paradise — voyage of the damned | Financial Times: Omar El Akkad offers a powerful indictment of the west’s treatment of vulnerable, often traumatised, refugees.
- How Do You Make a Menu That Accommodates Everyone? | Cup of Jo: Jenny Rosenstrach shares recipes from her new cookbook.
- 92nd Street Y’s New Season Includes Colson Whitehead and Susan Orlean | The New York Times: Colson Whitehead will join 92nd Street Y to discuss HARLEM SHUFFLE.
- What did you read this past pandemic year? Here’s what San Diegans checked out from our libraries | The San Diego Union Tribune: Brit Bennett, Colson Whitehead, Delia Owens, Kiley Reid, and Dr. Ibram X. Kendi are on this list