Please find below a roundup of this week’s recent news articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
News Media Spotlight
In the News
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political and societal landscape.
- Is Elon Musk About to Be the ‘King of Nothing’? | The New York Times: Anand Giridharadas speaks about how Elon’s purchase will impact the platform and its users.
- Hit with $7,146 for two hospital bills, a family sought health care in Mexico | NPR: Dr. Elisabeth Rosenthal explains how many Americans are functionally uninsured.
- Which Animal Viruses Could Infect People? Computers Are Racing to Find Out. | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer report that technology is being used to find viruses.
- What the leaked Jan. 6 recordings say about democracy right now | NPR: Steven Levitsky discusses how prominent Republicans were forced to explain things they’d said or wrote privately in the days after the mob attack on the Capitol.
- Russia cuts off gas to Poland and Bulgaria, stoking tensions with E.U. | The Washington Post: Shane Harris explains that Poland and Bulgaria would be cut off because they would not pay in Russian rubles.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- The Women’s Prize for Fiction 2022 shortlist has officially been announced | Marie Claire: Ruth Ozeki’s The Book of Form and Emptiness and Maggie Shipstead’s Great Circle are on this list!
- We Were Liars Was a Y.A. Sensation. But How Is the New Prequel? | The New York Times: Eight years after her Y.A. psychological thriller We Were Liars, E. Lockhart returns with a prequel, Family of Liars.
- Time Travel, Autofiction, And Pandemics. Emily St. John Mandel’s New Novel Has It All | NPR: Emily St. John Mandel is back with her latest work of speculative fiction, Sea of Tranquility.
- Jennifer Egan Talks About The Candy House | The New York Times: Jennifer Egan’s new novel is a follow-up to her Pulitzer Prize-winning A Visit From the Goon Squad.
- Kwame Onwuachi Shines a New Light Through the Kaleidoscope of American Cuisine | Shondaland: Kwame Onwuachi’s debut cookbook, My America: Recipes From a Young Black Chef, celebrates the cultures that defined his childhood.