Please find below a roundup of this week’s recent news articles, media, and essays from PRH Speakers Bureau speakers.
News Media Spotlight
Our speakers offer their thoughts and analyses on the current humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
- A Prayer for Volodymyr Zelensky | The Atlantic: Franklin Foer writes about how the Ukrainian president’s courage is remarkable to witness.
- High Profile Russians Speak Out Against Ukraine Invasion | MSNBC: Alex Wagner reports on several high profile Russians that are expressing their disapproval of the Ukraine invasion.
- Putin thinks he can win a new Cold War. He may be right. | The Washington Post: Matt Bai writes that weapons alone didn’t win the first Cold War and they won’t win the next one either.
- With Russian nuclear forces on alert, Ukraine crisis enters more dangerous phase | The Washington Post: Shane Harris reports that President Vladimir Putin’s decision to put Russian nuclear forces on alert fuels the potential for deadly miscalculation.
In the News
Our speakers provide clarity and shrewd analysis of today’s issues to help make sense of our current and future political and societal landscape.
- Abolition newspaper revived for nation grappling with racism | wbur: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi’s Center for Antiracist Research and The Boston Globe’s Opinion team will be reviving The Emancipator.
- Patrick Radden Keefe on exposing the Sackler family’s links to the opioid crisis | The Guardian: Patrick Radden Keefe talks about reputation laundering and why the bad guys are still getting away with it.
- In Healing, Dr. Thomas Insel critiques & offers solutions to America’s mental health crisis | kalw: Dr. Thomas Insel investigates why our mental health system fails at every stage and searches for solutions.
- New Research Points to Wuhan Market as Pandemic Origin | The New York Times: Carl Zimmer reports on the two new studies say the virus was present in animals at the seafood market in 2019.
Books Connect Us
With their imaginative, impactful pieces of literature, our speakers provide incredibly valuable perspectives to be read by all.
- Top Chef Star Kwame Onwuachi’s Easy Jamaican Beef Patties Recipe | The Kelly Clarkson Show: Kwame Onwuachi teaches how to make Jamaican beef patties.
- Arthur Ends After 25 Seasons, Series Finale Shows Original Cast All Grown Up | People: The PBS show, based on Marc Brown’s books, is the longest-running animated children’s series in history, having premiered in 1996.
- Highlighting black authors for Black History Month | ABC: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi and Jacqueline Woodson are on this list of must-read books to get through this month.
- It’s been 10 years since Oregon author Cheryl Strayed’s bestselling book Wild was published | OPB: Cheryl Strayed continues to reach people all over the world through her deeply personal stories.