The PRH Speakers Bureau is proud to represent speakers who challenge the status quo and actively fight for justice in BIPOC communities. In the spirit of amplifying and listening to their messages, we’ve compiled recent articles, media, and essays from our speakers on the Black Lives Matter movement.
We are also happy to include a roundup for you here of upcoming virtual events that are open to the public from our speakers for the upcoming week.
Virtual Events with Our Speakers
Tune in to these virtual Penguin Random House speakers’ book events, author Q&A’s and more that are happening this week.
Monday, July 6
- Colson Whitehead celebrates the paperback release of THE NICKEL BOYS with Magic City Books (8:00PM EST)
Tuesday, July 7
- Megha Majumdar talks about the events that inspired A BURNING and her life as a writer with Harvard Club of San Francisco (8:00PM EST)
- Colson Whitehead discusses the writing life and THE NICKEL BOYS at Live Talks Los Angeles (9:00PM EST)
- J. Ryan Stradal joins St. Louis County Library to chat about THE LAGER QUEEN OF MINNESOTA (8:00PM EST)
Wednesday, July 8
Thursday, July 9
- Colson Whitehead joins Midtown Scholar Bookstore for a presentation of THE NICKEL BOYS (7:00PM EST)
- Lara Prescott will be in-conversation about THE SECRETS WE KEPT at Murder By The Book (8:00PM EST)
Friday, July 10
Check out #BooksConnectUsLive for more live virtual events.
News and Media from PRHSB Speakers
As we continue to stand up against racism and violence toward the Black community, we are committed to amplifying and listening to their messages. Below, we have compiled recent articles, media, and essays from our speakers on the Black Lives Matter movement.
Our speakers continue to stand up against racism and violence toward the Black community. Below are some recent articles, media, and essays from our speakers on systemic racism and the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Author of Antiracist Baby Children’s Book Interviewed by Alicia Keys | Nickelodeon: Alicia Keys speaks with Dr. Ibram X. Kendi about kids, race, and unity.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Colson Whitehead discusses today’s movement for justice | CBS This Morning: Colson Whitehead discusses THE NICKEL BOYS, how it resonates today, and why he’s encouraged by the protests for change in America.
- “We Would Not Be Here Without Resistance” | Oprah Winfrey Network: Shaka Senghor explains how Black resistance has taken a variety of forms for centuries.
- Dr. Jennifer Eberhardt joined VaynerX Presents: Marketing for the Now! | VaynerMedia: Dr. Jennifer Eberhardt talks about racial bias across all systems.
- Bestselling author Nic Stone on the importance of Black representation in YA literature | etalk: Nic Stone feels hopeful for future generations.
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Colson Whitehead On ‘The Nickel Boys’ | capradio: Colson Whitehead talks about his award-winning books, ongoing protests against systemic racism and inequality, and more.
- “Violence is Really the Only Language That America Understands” | KQED: Casey Gerald discusses what the Fourth of July means today.
- Brit Bennett | Monocle on Culture: Brit Bennett speaks with host Robert Bound about her new novel, THE VANISHING HALF.
- Striving for better with Richard Ford and Jacqueline Woodson | ABC Radio National: Jacqueline Woodson strives to do more with each book.
- America’s Enduring Caste System | The New York TimesMagazine: Isabel Wilkerson speaks on the enduring racial hierarchy that has persisted for centuries in American history.
- Being Antiracist Is Work, Even For Ibram X. Kendi | Wall Street Journal Magazine: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi isn’t done learning or teaching about how to be an antiracist.
- An eventful year for Pulitzer Prize winner Colson Whitehead | The Washington Post: Even sheltering in place, Colson Whitehead has had an eventful year.
- “Last week was truly the wildest week of my life” | The Guardian: Brit Bennett talks about topping the bestseller charts with her new novel, THE VANISHING HALF.
- San Francisco Police Department will stop releasing most mug shots to combat racial bias | CNN: Dr. Jennifer Eberhardt consults the police department on implicit biases and their implications for Black and brown communities.
- Meet 5 Inspiring People Charting the Path Forward as America Fights Racism | People: Dr. Ibram X. Kendi and Rachel Cargle are on the push for equality and justice.
- Do Americans Understand How Badly They’re Doing? | The Atlantic: Thomas Chatterton Willams expresses his worries about America.
- HBO Wins The Vanishing Half Auction In 7-Figure Deal; 17 Bidders Pursued Brit Bennett Bestseller | Deadline: Brit Bennett will be executive producer of what HBO will develop as a limited series.